Recent Posts



How do I start a custody case?

"Custody" in Florida Courts is known as "timesharing". Timesharing can be established in a Paternity Case, if the parents are not married, or a Divorce case, if the parents are married. This article focuses on the Paternity action process.

In Florida, when the parents of a child are unmarried, the mother is the natural custodian of the child. This means that the mother has "primary residential care and custody of the child unless the court enters an order stating otherwise"! Filing a paternity case is the ONLY way an unwed Father gains any enforceable rights to time with their child.